Golubitskaya Icon of the Mother of God. (Голубицкая икона). This miraculous icon is associated with St. Arseny Konevsky. In 1393, he founded a monastery on Konevets Island in the western part of the Lake Ladoga. It is often regarded as a twin monastery with the Valaam Monastery, also located on an island group in the same lake. The Church of the Nativity of the Theotokos was founded by St. Arseny in 1428. The central shrine has the image of Mother of God, brought by St. Arseny from Mount Athos, which represents Christ as the Eternal Child holding a dove nestling, symbolizing spiritual purity and peace. Presently, the icon is in the Orthodox New Valaam monastery in Finland.
Finely painted lacquer box on papier-mache. Hinged, border decoration, gift boxed with description. 2¼"x1½"x1" (5.7x3.8x2.5cm). 1 only.
All prices are in USD.