Vladimirskaya Icon of the Mother of God. (Владимирская икона). The Theotokos of Vladimir (Vladimirskaya) is a well-known Russian Orthodox icon of the Eleusa type. Eleusa means Tenderness in Greek (Umileniye in Russian.) She is also known as the Mother of God of Tenderness. Here the relationship between Mother and Child is expressed with great emphasis. Christ, as a child, touches his Mother's face with one hand and presses His cheek against Hers. Her sorrowful gaze foresees the Passion and She embraces Him affectionately and maternally.
Around 1131, this icon traveled from Constantinople to Vychgorod, near Kiev. In 1155, Prince Andre Bogolyubsky took it to the city of Vladimir, from whence it took its name. In 1395, with Moscow in danger of being overrun by Tamerlane's Mongol hordes, the icon was brought to Moscow and installed at the Uspensky (Dormition of The Virgin) Cathedral in the Moscow Kremlin. After Tamerlane retreated, the icon was returned to Vladimir. In 1480 it was again placed in the Moscow Kremlin.
Egg tempera, gold, lacquer. Hinged papier mache box with border decoration. Gift boxed with description. 2¼"x1½"x1" (5.7x3.8x2.5cm). 1 only.
All prices are in USD.