The Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius (Троице-Сергиева Лавра). Beautifully decorated with a polychrome painting and pokerwork and intricate carved sides. Hinged lid. 7½" x 5" x 3".
The Trinity Monastery of St. Sergius , founded in 1337 by St. Sergius of Radonezh, is the spiritual center of the Russian Orthodox Church. It started as a wooden church and over the centuries more were added. The monastery is in the town of Sergiyev Posad, about 40 miles from Moscow.
Pokerwork, also known as pyrography, has been around for 500 years as a decorative element. It was in the late 19th century that painting combined with pokerwork became popular. The main ornamental composition is drawn in the wood with a heated needle. This picture is painted in simple or complex color schemes, then lightly coated with lacquer. Common themes include Trinity Monastery of St. Sergius, with its powerful and ancient fortress walls from the 15th-18th centuries. Other compositions depict folk festivals, fairy tales, and village themes.