Primitive POW Camp Orthodox Priest's Cross circa 1940-1950. Purchased from a Serbian priest in the late 1970s. Similar to "trench art", this make-shift cross was machined from a piece of copper. A brass nut and screw form the centerpiece with an inset glass "ruby". The back of the screw has been enameled to help disguise its function. Red enamel was uniformly applied to round and oval cells and the entire cross has been hand embellished with scroll work. IНЦI (Old Slavonic: ИНЦИ, or "Jesus the Nazarene King of the Jews") inscribed at the top of the cross. Front is much more elaborate than the back. An unusual and historical cross.
Cross is 4¾"x3" (12x7.8 cm). 50" ((127 cm) pectoral cross chain added much later. 1 only.