The Pskov Icon of the 13th-16th Century (Псковская Икона XIII-XVII Веков). By Mikhail Vladimirovich Alpatov and others. Pskov, one of the oldest cities in Russia, is mentioned in 903, when Igor of Kiev married St. Olga. The first prince of Pskov was Vladimir the Great's youngest son Sudislav. In the 12th-13th centuries, Pskov aligned with the Novgorod Republic. In 1241, it was taken by the Teutonic Knights, but Alexander Nevsky recaptured it. The Pskov school of painting icons began in the 13th century by preserving Novgorod artistic traditions. It flourished in the late 14th-early 15th centuries. Pskov icon painters developed their own iconography, distinguished by the prevalence of dark-green and white-pink colors. Few from that time have survived today. Military conflicts and foreign threats helped determine the special tonality of the Pskov school, this being stronger expressions, inner dynamics, and strained images. Pskov icon painting waned after the beginning of the 17th century.
Leningad: Aurora, 1991. First English language edition. With extensive explanatory notes. Hardcover with a dustjacket. Jacket has light edge wear and some minor chipping and closed tears. Dark red cloth, color and black/white illustrations throughout. 319 pages. Jacket now in a protective clear Mylar cover.