The Russian Shop
1720 Ogden Avenue
Lisle, IL 60532
United States of America
Veliky Ustyug (Великий Устюг), a town in Vologda Oblast, is historically significant and was one of the major cities of the Russian North, first mentioned in 1207. It was a part of the Vladimir-Suzdal Principality until 1328, when it was annexed by the Grand Duchy of Moscow. Culturally, the 16th and 17th centuries were the time it prospered. It became known for its remarkable handicrafts, such as silver filigree, birch bark fretwork, decorative copper binding, Ustyug icon painting and niello. We have a very limited supply of interesting painted boxes from Veliky Ustyug, shown below.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive specials and up to date product news and releases.