Antique Carved Wood Icon of St. Mitrophan. Sergiev Posad, Moscow region, circa 1895. Name written in pencil on the bottom of the carving. In a round wood frame with glass and a velvet backing. The icon has been taped up due to cracking of the frame. Oval 2¾" x 2" x ½". (74x52x15 mm). 1 only as shown.
Saint Mitrophan of Voronezh (Святитель Митрофан Воронежский) (1623-1703) was appointed the first bishop of Voronezh, a sizable city in South Russia. He was reputed to have possessed miracle-working powers. The son of a Russian priest, he lived a worldly life with wife and children until the age of 40. He managed the Kosmin Monastery near Yuryev-Polsky and the Unzha Monastery in Makaryev before being promoted to a bishop's see in 1682. He was formally canonized in 1832 and the first Moscow church in his name was consecrated in 1895. His relics were confiscated by the Bolsheviks, and only in 1989 were they returned to the Annunciation Cathedral.