Virgin of The Don Palekh Icon Lacquer Box. Also known as Our Lady of the Don (Донская икона Божией Матери), this famous Russian icon is believed to have been painted in 1380 by Theophanes the Greek (1340-1410). It was a gift from the Don Cossacks to Dmitry Donskoy (1350-1389) the day before the great battle of Kulikovo (Kulikovo Field near the Don River), which took place in 1380. He took it with him into battle and ultimately vanquished the Mongol armies of the Golden Horde under the command of Mamai.
The image is of the type known as Mother of God of Tenderness (Умиления - Russian/Eleusa -in Greek). The relationship of Mother and Child is expressed with great emphasis. Christ, as a child, embraces Her and presses His cheek against Hers. Her sorrowful gaze foresees His Passion. The small scroll symbolizes the Gospel. This icon was painted in Palekh using traditional egg tempera paints. 4" x 3" x 1½". 1 only, as shown.