POW Camp Orthodox Priest's Blessing Cross. Circa 1920-1940. From an antique Old Believer's cross. "Made in Germany" on the back, indicating made before the partitioning of Germany after WWII. Probably made for English or American market. Two small feet at the bottom back and one large foot with hole so that it could be hung. Cross has patinated over the years. Made from a copper alloy. An unusual piece used during services in post-war German DP camps. Cross is 10⅝ "x5⅜" (27x13.5 cm) and 14oz (398gr). 1 only.
At the top end is the icon of the Holy Face with the inscription "Image Not-Made-By-Human-Hands" ("Образ Нерукотворный"). Ministering to Christ are two descendent angels, with the inscription "Angels of the Lord" (Ангели Господни"), and just below them the inscription "King of Glory" ("Царь Славы"). The top of the bar of the cross has Slavonic initials: "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews", "Son of God", "Sun", "Moon", and "We worship Thy Cross, O Master and we glorify Thy Holy Resurrection" ("Кресту Твоему поклоняемся, Владыко, и Святое Воскресение Твое славим"). Further down the horizontal bar is the Lance and the Sponge, Instruments of the Passion.
On the bottom cross bar, the city of Jerusalem is depicted in the background, as the Crucifixion occurred outside the city walls. By the foot of the Cross are the letters: "Г Г" standing for 'Mount Golgotha' (in Slavonic: Гора Голгофы). This is the hill outside the city gates upon which Christ was crucified. Below are four Slavonic letters with abbreviation marks: "М.Л.Р.Б.", meaning: "The place of the skull, where Adam was" ("Место лобное рай бысть"). Hidden in a cave under the earth is 'the skull of Adam' (by tradition Christ was crucified where Adam was buried), identified with the letters: "Г А" (in Slavonic: глава Адамла).