"Golden Ring" Carved and Painted Box. Khotkovo, "Folk Art" workshop. Circa 1980-1990. Wood, Abramtsevo-Kudrino flat-relief geometrical carving, lathe turning, painting. Lid lifts off. Applied blue felt at the bottom of the piece. On one of the roundels there is a small black "knot" (kind of like a birthmark). 10" in height x approximately 5" in diameter. 1 only.
Abramtsevo-Kudrino artistic woodcarving got its name from the name of the village of Kudrino in the Abramtsevo estate in the Moscow region. Presently the center of Abramtsevo-Kudrino wood carving is located in the Khotkov town of the Sergiev Posad Region, where a factory of carved artware is operating. Artists are trained at the V.M. Vasnetsov Arts and Crafts College in Abramtsevo.
Abramtsevo-Kudrino wood carving originated with the artists of the Abramtsevo circle (Abramtsevo Estate of Savva Mamontov) situated near Moscow. In 1890, V.P. Vornoskov, founded his own workshop in his native village of Kudrino. In the years following, carving arts and crafts works were developed by talented craftsmen and artists of different generations. Presently the center of Abramtsevo-Kudrino Wood Carving is located in Khotkovo in the Sergiev Posad Region. Specialists of Abramtsevo-Kudrino Wood Carving are trained at V.M. Vasnetsov Arts and Crafts College in Abramtsevo.