The Kazan Mother of God is historically notable through several miracles and played a major historical role in Russia's destiny. The original icon was carried by Prince Dmitry Pozharsky (1577-1642) into battle. It made its apparition in 1579 in Kazan, the capital of a Tartar khanate, where, at the time, half the city was being destroyed by fire. A special church was built in Kazan in 1679, but the icon took up residence in Moscow. had been kept in Moscow. The icon then moved to St. Petersburg where it was installed in the Kazan Cathedral on Nevskii Prospect in the center of the city. 4"x6". Hand painted in Russia. 1 only.