Kirov, Vyatka, Nolinsk
Collectible Russian Matryoshka Dolls
In 1780, Catherine the Great renamed the ancient town of Khlynov (since 1374) to Vyatka. It stayed that way until 1934, when it was named after Sergey Kirov (1886-1934), who was a prominent Communist Party leader. Since the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991, the name of the city remains Kirov, whereas many institutions (the university, for example, bear the former name of Vyakta.
Vyatka (Viatka) matryoshka dolls first appeared in 1924. Any doll from that era is very rare. In 1937, the Progress Artel was organized in Vakhrino village and in Ovcharnoye village to produce wooden toys. In 1938, Vyatka dolls became more common, but still scarce. In 1960, the Kirov factory of turning toys was organized. At the end of 1963, the Kirov factory entered the Vyatka production association, becoming shop number 3. In 1968, the technology of painting with aniline dyes was mastered. In 1988, shop number modernized and the "Kirov Souvenir Factory" became an independent enterprise. In 1993, in connection with privatization, the factory is transformed into a limited liability partnership (LLP). In 1993, a competition was announced for the development of new types of products. Under new ownership, in 1995 it began to develop more modern painting techniques, including potal, watercolor, and acrylics, and continues to this day.
Residents of Nolinsk and surrounding villages also began to paint matryoshkas as far back as in the 1930s. It distinguished itself 30 years later with rye straw incrustations. Today Nolinsk dolls are produced by the offshoots of the Kirov souvenir factory.