Transfiguration of Jesus Christ Solovetsky Monastery (Спасо-Преображенский Соловецкий Монастырь). It is located in the village of Solovetsky, Primorsky District, Arkhangelsk Region on Solovetsky Island in the White Sea. Heavy, high-relief wood carving. The descriptive paper on the back, in Russian, identifies the artist and the date of the carving (1976). Approximately 14" x 11½". A wire has been attached for hanging. 1 only.
Spaso-Preobrazhensky Solovetsky Monastery is an Eastern Orthodox monastery which arose in the 1420's. From 1669-1676, it was besieged by Tsarist troops as it was one of the centers of resistance to the bold church reforms of Patriarch Nikon (1605-1681). In 1992, the complex of monuments of the Solovetsky Museum-Reserve was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List and in 1995, in the State Code of Particularly Valuable Cultural Heritage Sites of the Peoples of the Russian Federation.