Antique Carved Wood Icon of St. Mitrophan. Sergiev Posad, Moscow region, circa 1880-1910 Name written in pencil on the bottom of the carving. In a round wood frame with glass and a velvet backing. The frame is cracked in several places and is being held together with regular tape. Oval 2¾" x 2" x ½". (74x52x15 mm). 1 only as shown.
Note: the second photo was shot in natural light.
Saint Mitrophan of Voronezh (Святитель Митрофан Воронежский, 1623-1703) was appointed the first Bishop of Voronezh, which a sizable city in South Russia. The son of a Russian priest, he lived a worldly life with his wife and children until the age of 40. He managed the Kosmin Monastery near Yuryev-Polsky and the Unzha Monastery in Makaryev before being promoted to a bishop's see in 1682. He was formally canonized in 1832 and the first Moscow church in his name was consecrated in 1895. His relics were confiscated by the Bolsheviks, then returned to the Annunciation Cathedral in 1989. He was reputed to have possessed miracle-working powers.